What can we do to make smoothies a bit more „Ayurvedic friendly?“
As you might know, Ayurveda is not the biggest fan of smoothies because we mostly drink them too cold, don’t use Dosha friendly ingredients, the right season is also a key and with a low Agni we do more harm than good.
I have got some tips that can make you feel better and let you enjoy those delicious and vitamin packed, alkaline prana foods:
- Add ginger, turmeric or cinnamon to boost your metabolism
- Use less and more seasonal ingredients
- Drink them at room temperature and in the warmer seasons – autumn and winter smoothies could be prepared with a bit warm water
- Don’t go crazy with too many mixed fruits
- The perfect time for smoothies isn’t the breakfast, it’s the Pitta time around 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. – Agni works here actively!
Use Dosha friendly ingredients
Vata peeps should use mild, nourishing and heavy ingredients like cashews, banana and mango. Pitta peeps should use sweet and bitter ingredients which are also cooling, Kapha peeps are good with subtle, alkaline and dry ingredients!
Fruits: pineapple, oranges, mango, peaches, berries, dates, cherries, kiwi, plums, grapes, papaya
Veggies: carrots (I use the juice here), avocado, lemon, beet root
Mix it: almond milk, vata spice mix („Vata Churna“), amalaki powder, maca powder, raw cocoa, cashews
Fruits: apples, mango, peaches, berries, papaya, pears, apricots, avocado
Veggies: spinach, kale, celery, zucchini, cucumber, basil, coriander, mint
Mix it: coconut milk and water, nuts and seeds, chlorella and spirulina, Pitta Churna
Fruits: apples, papaya, cherries, berries, grapes, dry fruits, oranges
Veggies: spinach, celery, zucchini, cucumber, basil, ginger, coriander, parsley
Mix it: Soymilk and water, Acai powder, chlorella or spirulina, Kapha Churna
Pro tip for vegans: Amalaki powder is a great replacement for Amla spread, which is hardly available veganized. Mix it with mango, grapes or pomegranate to have all it´s rasayana benefits!
Smoothies can be awesome to nourish children and elderly people as well – children sometimes don´t enjoy eating veggies, elderly people have problems to chew fresh fruits and veggies.
And now – let´s head to my promised recipes!
On my research for this article I have found those delicious smoothie recipes and also tried them all! I am addicted to one already! 😉 Guess which one?
They contain digestion stimulating ingedients – fruits, veggies, spices, herbs. And as described below – water or plant based milk at room temperature. Start to switch your smoothie recipes a bit and minimize any potential harm for your health. Stay balanced, fit and get the best out of your smoothie!
„Purple Smoother“ Smoothie
1 ripe banana
½ cup of blueberries
½ cup of strawberries
1 teaspoon agave juice
One pinch of cardamom powder
1 cup almond milk
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth.
- Fill in a jar and top with fresh berries and cocoa nibs!
- Close your eyes. Feel gratitude. Taste a sip. Make an „mmmhhhh“ sound.
- Day goes on perfectly!
„Mango Tango“ Smoothie
1 apple, chopped in pieces without the cores
½ cup fresh pineapple
½ cup fresh mango
1 cup fresh spinach
1 tsp of chlorella or spirulina
1 cup of coconut water
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth and vibrant green.
- Pour in a jar.
- Sit down, watch the birds outside of your window, feel gratitude and take a sip to feel refreshed.
- Now you can go on energized with whatever you have done before your smoothie!
½ lime, juice
2 cups of watermelon
1 teaspoon of raw, brown sugar or coconut sugar
- Blend all the ingredients until evenly mixed.
- Fill the smoothie in a glass.
- Take a sustainable straw, chill yourself in your hammock into the sun, put on your sunglasses and have a great book close to you.
- Sip on that smoothie, make an „mmmhhh sound“ and feel the summer from the head to your tippie toes.
- Read a great book and chill!
I hope you will love these smoothie recipes and that they will bring you some delicious selfcare moments this summer! If you don´t want to miss the next upcoming recipes,you can subscribe here:
Feel loved and appreciated!